Quantcast

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Teen Recommendations for Adults

I've decided to jump on board with Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is: Recommendations for Readers Who Have Never Read X. So this week I'm going with recs for adults who don't read YA. 


I get it, a lot of adults have yet to dip their toe into the teen pool. I only started when I had teen sisters of my own. They'd express their great appreciation for a certain book and convince me to give it a try. Before too long I was the one reading and passing teen titles along to them! 

All of the titles I'm recommending are books that I think read as well as anything found in the "adult" section of the bookstore. They just happen to have teen characters.

1. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan - If you're not into zombies this might not work, but I do so love this series and find it truly effective and horrific as an adult. 

2. Sabriel by Garth Nix - who doesn't love this book? It's an excellent fantasy read regardless of your age. 

3. The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver - I knew very little about this series when I read this one but I couldn't put it down. I read it in one sitting!

4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor - this one is just such a unique premise and Taylor's style of writing is hypnotic.

5. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - another one with a unique premise. The use of vintage images paired with an incredibly fun (and dark) story. 

6. The Circle by Sara Elfgren and Mats Strandberg - this is a Scandinavian teen trilogy about witches.  But it's also about those painful teenage years. 

7. White Space by Ilsa Black - so this book seems to be very polarizing - you either love it or hate it. It's so incredibly weird and twisty and I of course loved it! I'm careful about who I recommend it to but for the right reader it's a real adventure. 

8. Pure by Julianna Baggott - my impression is that even the publisher was cross marketing this one for teens and adults. 

9. Velveteen by Danny Marks - this is a teen release from Mark Henry. It's oh, so dark and definitely one that can work just as well for adults as it does for teens. 

10. The Different Girl by Gordon Dahlquist - I thought this one deserved much more love than it got when it was released! This is a teen sci-fi title with a fabulous narrator. It's also Dahlquist's first teen release. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic list!! Forest of Hands and Teeth is my favorite zombie book. I just suggested it to a patron this week.

http://ouachitaya.blogspot.com/2014/08/top-ten-books-id-give-to-reading-who.html

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I am with you on SABRIEL and DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONES. In fact, I just recommended those two books to my daughter this past week. She is currently listening to SABRIEL on audiobook.

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of Sabriel and Forest of Hands and Teeth. I'm going to check out Daughter of Smoke and Bones. Great list!

Missie said...

I love Daughter and of Smoke and Bone so much!
Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

Lisa Mandina said...

Forest of Hands and Teeth, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and of course Miss Peregrine are all awesome books. I started White Space as an e-galley, but it was too hard to read the way it was formatted, so I need to pick it back up and try again. Great list!

Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight said...

Oh, I have pretty much every one of these on my TBR! I must get to them faster, I think. Great list :)