Quantcast

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Fantasy Books

I've decided to jump on board with Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is: favorite fantasy novels.


1. George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series - I'm not going to list the books individually, then my whole list would be GRRM!

2. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle - who doesn't love this book?!

3. Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier - this should be another series listing for me but I'll go ahead and put down the first Sevenwaters book since it hooked me to Marillier's work.

4. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark - oh, such a fabulous doorstopper fantasy!

5. The Sworn by Gail Z. Martin - my first book by Martin and another that hooked me to an outstanding series and author.

6. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - urban fantasy at its very, very best. It's the first in a list of London based urban fantasy that I completely adore!

7. London Falling by Paul Cornell - like this one.

8. Sixty-One Nails by Mike Shevdon - and this one :)

9. The Spirit Ring by Louis McMaster Bujold - I will beat this book over people's head until it's back in physical print. Kidding, but it is a fantastic book.

10. Dreams and Shadows by C. Robert Cargill - so dark and deliciously wonderful.

Oh, I could go on and on and on with this list!

7 comments:

Georgette Spelvin said...

Thanks for the good-looking list, Becky!

There's a sequel to DREAMS AND SHADOWS coming out on May 1st. I'm really looking forward to revisiting Cargill's Austin, Texas.

Becky LeJeune said...

Yes, I'm really looking forward to it, Georgette! Funnily enough, I was reading DREAMS in the DFW airport - not Austin but at least Texas. It was a bit surreal (and I've been to Austin enough that it felt so familiar).

Unknown said...

Great list! I have been wanting to read The Last Unicorn forever now. I'm gonna have to buy that online since my bookstore doesn't have it. I actually just got the first three books in The Severwaters series. I'm excited about that journey with Marillier. Oh yea and you were right about Gaiman's Neverwhere being on your list! WOOHOO! Great minds think alike :) Thanks for stopping by earlier xoxoxo

Rissi said...

I don't think I've read any of these but I do adore C.S. Lewis' Narnia books! They're so powerful and have purpose to their story. :)

Anonymous said...

THE LAST UNICORN! YES! One of the best novels of all time! Have you read Tamsim by Beagle as well? Also a great book!

(My TTT: http://mgbookreviews.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/top-ten-tuesdays-all-time-favourite-books-in-the-sci-fispeculative-fiction-genre/)

Becky LeJeune said...

Oh, I haven't read TAMSIM, Maggie. I'll have to check that one out. Aside from UNICORN I've only read some of his shorts and A FINE AND PRIVATE PLACE.

Unknown said...

There's a lot here that I actually haven't read, and I adore fantasy. I've been meaning to read The Last Unicorn for ages though...