Quantcast

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Bedlam Detective by Stephen Gallagher

Today is a bit of a throwback as it's one I read quite a while ago. Ripper Street is back on BBC America and I've been craving more along those lines so it seemed like the perfect time to finally get around to posting this!

Sir Owain Lancaster's account of his expedition to South America has left many questioning the man's sanity: the entire team of explorers and Lancaster's own wife and son were killed. No one is left to back up Lancaster's tale of strange and murderous creatures.

Sebastian Becker's job is to investigate Lancaster's state of mind. But when he arrives in Arnmouth, another crime has just occurred -- two girls have been brutalized and murdered on Lancaster's estate. Could Lancaster be behind the murders?

The premise of this mystery is really unique -- Becker is a former Pinkerton who now works as an investigator for an asylum. How freaking awesome is that?! The historical setting makes it that much more fantastic.

When I started this one I didn't actually realize that it was the second title to feature Becker. It works as a complete stand alone but if you're like me and you finish this one instantly wanting more, then it's a pretty cool discovery. The Kingdon of Bones was released in 2007 and concerns a boxing champ accused of murder.

I have to say, I'm a fan of Gallagher and his lead, Becker. I do wish there had been more installments to this series.

Rating: 5/5

No comments: