Quantcast

Friday, May 3, 2013

The Elite by Kiera Cass

Only six girls remain in the Selection. When it ends, one of them will have won the Prince's hand and the crown. America Singer has made it this far but in spite of Maxon's assurances that she's the one as far as he's concerned, America is uncertain. Uncertain of her feelings for Maxon and whether she truly wants to be with him, uncertain where she stands with him, and uncertain whether she can handle the throne when and if the time comes. As the competition becomes more serious America becomes even more confused. And what about Aspen, her childhood sweetheart and now a member of the royal guard?

I truly enjoyed Kiera Cass's The Selection, and especially loved returning to the series with The Elite. It's just so much fun!

In this second of the trilogy, we do get a bit more information about Illea and its history, why things are the way they are and how they came to be that way. Maxon shows America a secret room in the palace that's filled with books, including the diaries of their founder.

There's also more friction between America and Maxon (and Aspen) as America continues to wrestle with her feelings for the prince and the competition as a whole. Cass walks a fine line between America becoming just a little too wishy washy, but I think she backed off and/or added enough explanation at the right time to make this a believable situation for me.

I'm anxiously awaiting the third installment. I still want to know so much more about Illea and the rebels. And I can't wait to see who will choose who in the end!

Rating: 5/5

4 comments:

Christina said...

I have this one coming up whenever I have time to get to gifted/unsolicited arcs I couldn't get to before publication. I've been hearing it's better mostly, so I'm curious! Glad you enjoyed it so much!

Becky LeJeune said...

I did really enjoy the first one as well. I have to say, though, it's been a rough week and I wanted something light and quick to take my mind off things. THE ELITE hit the spot.

Ellie said...

I kind of enjoyed it too but there's still a lot of flaws in it for me. Found America's indecision a bit too irritating. But I will carry on and read the final instalment, like you said, it's fun!

Becky LeJeune said...

Ellie, I so needed something light and fun that I didn't even notice the flaws! Her indecision did get dangerously close to being over the top for me but managed to just avoid doing so.