Quantcast

Friday, February 3, 2012

Interview with Catherine McKenzie author of Spin

A big, hearty welcome to Catherine McKenzie today! Catherine's US debut, Spin, hits shelves Tuesday and I had the chance to pose a few questions. But first, a bit about the book from the publisher:

All Kate Sandford has ever wanted was to be a real writer. After what seems a lifetime of living off ramen noodles and free bar drinks, she gets the call she’s been dreaming of—a chance to interview at her favorite music magazine, The Line. So of course she goes out to celebrate the biggest possible career move of her life that night. But the celebration ends abruptly the next morning when Kate wakes up still hammered from the night before with only 15 minutes until her 9AM interview. She doesn’t get the job, but the folks at the media company think she might be perfect for another assignment for their gossip rag. Kate is asked to follow a young female celebrity into rehab to get the inside story. If she can get the rehab scoop (and complete the 30-day program without getting kicked out), they’ll reconsider her for the job at The Line.

And now for the interview!

How far would you go for a dream job?

Not as far as Katie!

What's your daily routine like and how do you balance writing with being a lawyer?

My daily routine … mmm … get up, go to work, do lawyer stuff. Come home, eat dinner, try to write for a bit (some days), watch TV for a bit (most days). Sleep. Repeat. I generally get larger blocks of writing done on the weekends.

What inspires you?

Great music. Great writing. TV Shows like The Wire. Moves like Brokeback Mountain.

You mentioned recently that movie rights for Spin had been sold. If you had your way, who would play Katie and Amber?

I can’t answer this question! Really, no one comes to mind and every time someone has suggested a particular actress I’ve always had a “no, not her!” reaction. I’m not sure why since I don’t have a clear picture in my mind of what either of them really look like in relation to a real person. I guess I just know what they don’t look like (or act like), if that makes any sense.

Are you an outliner or do you write as the story comes to you?

Ah, the panster v. outliner! I have traditionally been a panster (i.e. write with the barest of outlines in my head and see what comes out), but have been trying to get better about that. My current work in progress at least has a few words down for every chapter. Progress, progress.

What do you like to read?

I’m a pretty eclectic reader. I read a lot of non-fiction, commercial fiction. I’m currently reading The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides.

You have US releases of Arranged and Forgotten this year, what do you have planned after that? Is there a current work in progress?

I do have a current work in progress (I’m under contract in Canada for a fourth book), but I can’t really say anything about the plot right now. Having fun writing it though.


Thanks for the questions.

Thanks so much, Catherine!

I had a lot of fun reading Spin and can't wait to read more from Catherine. All three of her titles are currently available in Canada. Arranged is set for release in the States in May and Forgotten hits shelves here this fall.

Watch for a review post on Spin and I'll have a review coming at Bookbitch.com as well.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Very cool! Sounds like a fun read, look forward to your review.