Quantcast

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Now Entering the House of Night

Yes, I've finally started PC and Kristin Cast's wildly popular teen House of Night series. After one installment in, I'm intrigued and anxious to begin book two.

Marked introduces Zoey Redbird, recently Marked and now a fledgling sent to live at the House of Night. In Zoey's world, vampires (vampyres) are very real. Being Marked by one does not mean the end, though for Zoey it may seem that way, socially anyway. But at the House of Night, everyone is like her. Or not. See, Zoey is different and it's this that makes her stand out. And no new kid wants to stand out!

I know, I've not given you much to go on here. I thought this was a great start to the series and I don't want to give too much away. I love the twist on the vampire mythology that the Casts have incorporated. I also think that this particular book had a great pacing that sets the momentum nicely for what I expect in the books to come.

As teen series go, it's not a totally unique premise, but one that I enjoy (boarding schools for the paranormal). And for this adult reader, it was an entertaining read. So, in my view, perfect for the teen set and a nice crossover potential for adults who enjoy YA paranormals.

More to come as I continue the series!

2 comments:

Ellie said...

I really liked this series at first but I soon got bored and stopped reading a couple of releases ago.

Becky LeJeune said...

I have definitely heard mixed things about the later books. My sisters also really liked the series until just a couple of books ago.