Quantcast

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Wings to the Kingdom by Cherie Priest

And my final Charleston trip read from my recent visit was Cherie Priest's fabulous follow up to the amazing Four and Twenty Blackbirds, Wings to the Kingdom.

Though it's a completely different state, I figured Civil War ghosts was an appropriate reading subject while in South Carolina. Plus, I've decided Cherie Priest writes five star plane reads. I'm not kidding. This is the third of her books that I've taken on a trip and the third time I've been completely transported from the distractions and discomforts of airports and planes by her prose. (That was a pretty lyrical sentence coming from me!)

In the second Eden Moore book, the Chickamauga battlefield has its share of ghost stories, but they've grown more frequent and bizarre of late. A pair of famous ghost hunters has come to town to investigate and Eden decides to check it out herself. It seems the ghosts have a message, but getting it across is proving quite difficult, and then very real gunshots begin to ring out once again on the battlefield.

So fun! Priest turns historical fact into fiction by twisting the real story to fit her plot, a tactic that works in making her stories come alive for readers like me (and believe it or not, some of the really weird stuff is untouched local legend -- Green Eyes, for example). She is truly one of my favorite authors.

I know, I know, I'm going all fangirl! I can't help it. Priest has a couple of distinctions in my recent read list: Four and Twenty was the first book to literally freak me out in recent years and Boneshaker was (I believe) my first official steampunk read.

So yeah, if you still have yet to add Priest to your "Must Read" list, you're seriously missing out.

No comments: