Quantcast

Monday, March 23, 2009

In Preparation

So I know that I usually wait until I've actually read a book to post about it, but I can't wait on this one. 

Sometimes it takes a couple of times before I buy a book. This is when, unlike this week, I am more aware of the amount I am spending and I'm feeling a bit guilty. But, I have to say that I usually have my mind made up the first time I pick up a book and in this case, it was only a matter of time before I bought it. And that time was probably about a week because I started to look for it at every bookstore that I went to. It was Natasha Mostert's Season of the Witch, which you can read about here. I was completely blown away by this book. All of the different concepts that are combined to create what is a sort of gothic paranormal mystery meshed perfectly. Mostert had me and I can guarantee that every release from here on out (and before, because I sought them out as well) are on my Must Buy list. 

So, I am thrilled that her new book is finally about to hit shelves. It is called Keeper of Light and Dust here in the states, and The Keeper in the UK. 

Once again, Mostert is using philosphy and mythology to tell a tale that is going to be 100% original in concept. And I can't wait! The book is due out on April 2 and I think you should all run out and buy it, or start with Season and see if you don't agree that Mostert is brilliantly talented. 

Here is some info on Keeper, as found on Mostert's page:

What is the greatest desire of all?

In the death choked corridors of Palermo's famous catacombs, a young man asks this question of himself as he stands surrounded by eight thousand mummified corpses. The answer he gives, will set the course of his life and take him on a journey into the heart of darkness.

Adrian Ashton is a brilliant man: a quantum physicist and chronobiologist who has devoted his life to the study of chi - the vital energy that runs through our bodies. A gifted scientist, he is also a skilled martial artist - and a hunter. Calling himself Dragonfly, he preys on fighters and martial artists who are blessed with a strong life force, draining them of their chi and making it his own. To assist him in his quest, he draws on the knowledge contained in an enigmatic Chinese text written by a legendary Chinese physician in the thirteenth century.

But the hunter becomes the hunted when a mysterious woman enters his life. A martial artist herself, she belongs to a long line of Keepers: women who are warriors, healers and protectors. When Dragonfly targets the man she loves, she sets out to defeat him. It becomes a fight to the death in which love is both the greatest weakness and the biggest prize.

A fast-paced, highly original thriller, Keeper of Light and Dust blends mysticism with science and explores themes as old as time: the imperative of violence, the redemptive power of love and the greatest desire of all -- to live for ever.

See, doesn't it sound fab?! And you can see Mostert herself talk about the book here

Mostert is also the author of Windwalker, a very gothic tale about soul mates, The Other Side of Darkness, a mystery, and The Midnight Side, a ghost story of sorts. Other Side and Midnight Side are out of print, so if you can find them I recommend snatching them up. I haven't found Other Side yet. 

Readers who enjoy mysteries with a touch of paranormal and philosophical riddles will love Natasha Mostert. I highly recommend her and will definitely keep you posted once I have read Keeper myself. 

2 comments:

Lori's Reading Corner said...

I've sent you an award.

Check it out here ~ http://lorisreadingcorner.blogspot.com/2009/03/proximidade-award.html

Cheryl said...

I have not read this author but I remember you raving about her first book. I will have to check them out