Quantcast

Monday, June 9, 2008

New Releases 6/10

Some of the titles hitting shelves tomorrow are:

The Blood Detective by Dan Waddell - a fantastic mystery debut from the UK. It's a great story and an interesting new spin on the who-dunit.
The Dirty Secrets Club by Meg Gardiner - another great one technically from over the pond. Gardiner, a California native who now lives in the UK, is finally being published here. Highly recommended.
The Writing Class by Jincy Willett - a dark and humorous mystery about an unknown person who terrorizes a writing class. Hilarious sarcasm. 
Ambush by Paul Carson - previous Carson titles have drawn on his medical career, he makes the jump into general suspense with this story of a widowed husband's need to avenge his wife's death.
The Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver - latest installment in the Rhyme/Sachs series!
Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan - fey fantasy tale that takes place in Elizabethan England. Amazing work.
The Richest Season by Maryann McFadden - Booksense pick for June about a woman going through a mid-life crisis
Island of Eternal Love by Dana Chaviano - lit fic recounting three very different lives from different corners of the world

New on DVD: 
The Bucket List
Jumper - watched it on the plane this morning, but I'm pretty sure I nodded off (not a reflection of the film, but merely the thanks I get for staying up until 2am watching Weeds!). Will be rewatching.
The Other Boleyn Girl - a pretty good movie, about as historically accurate as the book. Read the author's notes in the original book to see what the author fudged for creative license.
The Signal - hm, an overseas horror about a TV signal that drives people insane - and there was an actual stabbing during one of the viewings, how freaking odd!
Funny Games - a horror movie that I will not be seeing - think The Strangers meets Clockwork Orange and you get some idea
Tekwar: The Series - Ok, I admit it, I was a HUGE Tekwar fan! I sent my mom on a cross-city mission to find all of William Shatner's Tek books. This was one of my few forays into Sci-Fi reading - a futuristic detective series in which the main character has been set up and imprisoned for drug use and William Shatner is the only one who will give him a job that could allow him to clear his name! I could have sworn there were more than 18 episodes, though. 

New reviews over at Bookbitch.com:
The Writing Class, The Blood Detective, and The Dirty Secrets Club

What I'm reading now: Made in the USA by Billie Letts

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I have the Blood Detective on my wish list